MLU in syllables?

Bruno Estigarribia brunilda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 23:49:46 UTC 2013

Actually,  you don't even need
a good correlation. All you need is to identify a function relating mlu in
syllables to mlum that has a good enough fit. Then you can always predict
with a certain degree of accuracy mlum from mlus.
Bruno Estigarribia
UNC Chapel Hill
Hi Yvan and all,

Thanks for your response and willingness to consider implementing something
like this in Phon.

You're right that morpheme-based MLU makes most sense for Inuktitut, and
I've already done that for my own child language corpus. But, as you point
out, this involves first analyzing utterances morphologically - not a
trivial task given the morphological complexity of Inuktitut. This would be
fine for people with training in Inuktitut linguistics. But the people
doing the language assessments are typically pediatricians or SLPs who
speak little Inuktitut and rely on parental report, or native speaker
medical assistants who do not have the requisite linguistic training (and
anyway wouldn't have the time for morphological analysis). Thus, we need
another solution.

Determining the number of syllables in an utterance is very doable for
native speakers with no linguistic training, because Inuktitut is written
in syllabic characters. So my plan is to calculate both the MLU in
morphemes and the MLU in syllables on the data I already have, to see
whether there is a high enough correlation between them. If the correlation
is high enough, then it would be reasonable to use MLU in syllables as an
indicator of linguistic ability for Inuktitut.

The data I have for now are already analyzed morphologically and I've
calculated MLUs using CLAN. We've also figured out a way to do syllable
counts that's workable for now. But if this idea works out and the
correlation is high enough, we may well want to test it on more data that
isn't coded. And then I'll definitely be in touch!

My request to info-childes was more to figure out if anyone has done
something like calculating MLU in syllables before. If so, we could benefit
from their experience and not reinvent the wheel. In this regard, thanks to
Nan and Sarita for the references - very helpful.

Best,
Shanley.