Collections of children's fictional narratives ('told' stories)

Gordon Ingram gordoning at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:31:48 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Some colleagues and I are hoping to start a project in the nearish
future which will involve the collection of children's original
(fictional) narratives as part of the requirements-gathering process for
a piece of software aimed at helping children improve their creative
writing skills. I plan to share any resulting corpus with the scientific
community.

Does anyone know of a collection of original fictional narratives -
i.e., not 'retold' fairytales and the like - which is easily available
on the internet, for us to do a pilot study on? I am vaguely aware of
Ruth Berman and Dan Slobin's 'frog stories', some of which I think are
available in CHILDES, and will have a look at them; but ideally I would
like something a bit more accessible (i.e. without all the linguistic
annotation, as we will probably need to strip that out in order to have
it analysed by AI) - and perhaps something written by kids rather than
spoken.

Age range would be about 6-12 - though we could go older if necessary.
Something on autistic children's production of fictional narratives
would also be really useful; doesn't have to be a corpus in this case,
even an article or two would help.

Best regards,
Gordon
--