Collections of children's fictional narratives ('told' stories)

Phyllis Schneider ps5 at ualberta.ca
Mon Mar 24 15:01:37 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have a corpus of stories from 377 children aged 4-9 which were elicited
using a set of original pictures drawn to our specifications by a
cartoonist.  You can see the materials on my website,
www.rehabresearch.ualberta.ca/enni.  there were 50 typically developing
children in each 1-year interval plus 10-17 children with language
impairment in each.  The children generated stories based on the pictures;
it was not a retell task.   I am planning to donate the corpus to CHILDES
at some point but have not done so yet.  the corpus is already a part of
the SALT databases in which individual transcripts can be compared to data
from the ENNI.

Have a look at the website to get an idea of the task.  If you would like
to use the pictures for your pilot, you are welcome to do so.  If you want
to use the stories that children told, I would be happy to share some or
all of them with you.  I have them in both CHAT and SALT formats.

--Phyllis

Phyllis Schneider, PhD
Professor
Dept. of Communication Sciences and Disorders
University of Alberta
2-70 Corbett Hall
Edmonton, AB T6G 2G4
CANADA