LENA system

Marilyn Vihman marilyn.vihman at york.ac.uk
Sun Oct 12 07:07:32 UTC 2014

I just want to add a word of caution - we've been using LENA, and it's
great for recording with no observers present. However, you will be forever
their "prisoner" - you have to pay around £800 a year for service (which
always dates back to January of that year, regardless of when you actually
started to pay), or they won't talk to you nor help you when you've got
problems, when versions are updated or when the computer on which you have
the software dies, and the software for which you paid good money is no
longer supported. If you skip a year or two and then renew your service
payment, you pay a heavy "fine" for each year for which you didn't pay. We,
stupidly, gave free talks and publicity for them in a conference they
organised, but their service is never free.

Just something to keep in mind!

Tamar Keren-Portnoy

On 11 Oct 2014, at 22:14, Aliyah MORGENSTERN <aliyah.morgenstern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Jean-Pierre,
> Marie-Thérèse Lenormand has used it very successfully. I was going to ask her to help us record children's monologues but haven't had the time to start. But as far as I know, she is the expert in our community.
> lenormand at rdebre.inserm.fr
> Best,
> Aliyah
>
> Le 12 oct. 2014 à 04:18, Jean-Pierre Chevrot a écrit :
>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>> We are considering using the LENA system to record and conduct pre-analysis of the speech of young French-speaking children.
>> We were wondering whether this system works with languages other than English, and in particular with French?
>> Do any of you have experience of this?
>> Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
>> Jean-Pierre
>>

>> --
>> Jean-Pierre Chevrot
>> Institut Universitaire de France
>> http://iuf.amue.fr/
>> Université Grenoble 3
>> Laboratoire Lidilem - BP 25, 38040, Grenoble cedex
>> France
>> http://lidilem.u-grenoble3.fr/spip.php?article30&var_mode=calcul&mem_id=4
>> Tel (bureau) : 04 76 82 68 13
>> Tel (personnel) : 06 74 61 36 21