LENA system

Melanie Soderstrom M_Soderstrom at umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 12 16:02:41 UTC 2014

There was also a group from (I believe) France who gave an
interesting/provocative talk at their last users' meeting describing
some of the ways that it breaks down. The issues they point out are
not specific to French, though. You can find the audio of the talk on
their website in their users meeting archives.

In general it seems to work very well across languages (so far), but
it's always best to be cautious when using it in new ways. It has
definitely been used with French before though.

As for their technical support fees, they work on the fee-for-service
model and are not open-source or freeware. They are a not-for-profit,
and do have real ongoing operating costs, so it's not just a
money-grab, but it's not a model that academics like very much. As
long as you budget that tech support fee into your operating costs and
thinking in the costs of the project, it's not a big deal compared
with the initial set-up cost. But they could probably do a better job
of making sure people are aware of that up front.

Melanie Soderstrom
Associate Head (Graduate)
Associate Professor
Department of Psychology