Validated Language exposure questionnaires for children growing up in a multilingual context

Roberta Golinkoff Roberta at udel.edu
Thu Sep 11 18:22:03 UTC 2014

Dear People,

While we are on the topic of questionnaires, I was asked recently by 2
neonatologists if there is a questionnaire we might give to new moms that
would predict who will NOT provide the sensitive and responsive mothering
that kids with birth insults of various types need. I thought this was a
great question. I know of an old Zero to Three parenting questionnaire but
not sure I can find it.

Any help appreciated! Of course this has tremendous implications for
language devel too!

Best, Roberta

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Cristina McKean <
cristina.mckean at newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Thank you very much indeed everyone, these are all very helpful.
>
>  Keep them coming if there are more! It is very useful to see different
> approaches.
>
>  Cristina
>

>  On 11 Sep 2014, at 18:35, walesgin <walesgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Just to add one more to the mix.  Here is the questionnaire we've been
> using for child participants here in Miami.  We have it in Spanish as well,
> if you would like a copy of that.
> Please feel free to adapt this to your needs.
> All the best,
>

>  V. C. Mueller Gathercole, Ph.D.
> Professor of Linguistics
> Director, Linguistics Program
> Director, Linguistics Experimental Research Laboratory
> Florida International University
>

>  http://vcmuellergathercole.weebly.com/index.html
>
>   *Issues in the Assessment of Bilinguals* and *Solutions for the
> Assessment of Bilinguals*, edited by V C Mueller Gathercole and published
> by Multilingual Matters:
> http://www.channelviewpublications.com/specialoffers.asp?
> [TOC at:
> http://vcmuellergathercole.weebly.com/selected-publications-books.html]
>
>  Latest news from FIU's Linguistics Program:
> http://linguisticshotnews.weebly.com
>

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Johanne Paradis <jparadis at ualberta.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Cristina,
>>
>>  It appears you have many choices, but let me add to them.
>>
>>  You could consider a questionnaire we have developed in my lab - The
>> Alberta Language Environment Questionnaire - for use with parents of
>> children from immigrant families, aged 4-8 (link below).  You would need to
>> adapt it if you wanted parents to complete it on their own.  It was
>> designed to be given as part of an oral interview with parents, often with
>> an interpreter present.  Reference to a paper showing the predictive value
>> of variables obtained from the questionnaire on children's English
>> development is also below.
>>
>>  http://www.linguistics.ualberta.ca/CHESL_Centre/Questionnaires.aspx
>>
>>  Paradis, J. (2011). Individual Differences in Child English Second
>> Language Acquisition: Comparing Child-Internal and Child-External Factors*.
>> Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism. *1:3, 213-237.
>>
>>  Regards,
>> Johanne
>>
>>  *Johanne Paradis* | Professor | Department of Linguistics
>> 4-57 Assiniboia Hall | University of Alberta | Edmonton, AB | T6G 2E7
>> | Canada
>> tel: 1 (780) 492-0805 | fax: 1 (780) 492-0806 |
>> http://www.ualberta.ca/~jparadis/
>> Child English Second Language Centre:
>> http://www.linguistics.ualberta.ca/CHESL_Centre.aspx
>>

>>  On 2014-09-11, at 9:52 AM, Cristina McKean <
>> cristina.mckean at newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> It would be great to have some advice if possible.
>>
>> I am trying to find a language exposure questionnaire for asking parents
> [...]

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph. D.
Unidel H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics and
Cognitive Science
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Office: 302-831-1634; Fax: 302-831-4110
Web page: http://udel.edu/~roberta/
PI on Institute of Education Sciences Postdoctoral Training Grant
The late Mary Dunn said, "Life is the time we have to learn."
Please follow me on Twitter: KathyandRo1