When should we consider speech production onset delayed?

Veronique lofa Devianne lofa4 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:48:46 UTC 2014

Dear Fatima,

I agree with all who wrote you back up until now.

However, there is always the possibility of a hearing problem, even if only
due to otitis (with or without pain), which are a very common root of
language delay, and so I would tell the parents to have her ears checked by
a pediatric ear doctor. Also, I would not swear that the child has a
reasonably good verbal understanding because bright children can react
totally appropriately thanks to their understanding of the situation
(non-verbal clues).

In the meantime, they can have fun with her making faces (exercising mouth
and tongue) and imitating noises, reading books while not sticking to the
text but rather using very simple words and not putting pressure on her so
that she talks.

Kind regards,
Véronique Devianne
orthophoniste