Petición de información

Carlos Subirats Rüggeberg Carlos.Subirats at uab.es
Tue Mar 31 09:42:07 UTC 1998

INFOLING  Lista moderada de lingüística española
http://listserv.rediris.es/archives/infoling.html
Envío de información: INFOLING at listserv.rediris.es
Consultas: INFOLING-request at listserv.rediris.es
Editor:
Carlos Subirats Rüggeberg <Carlos.Subirats at uab.es>
Colaboradoras:
Paola Bentivoglio <pbentivo at reacciun.ve>, UCV
Eulalia de Bobes <ebobes at seneca.uab.es>, UAB
Mar Cruz <mcruz at lingua.fil.ub.es>, UB
Emma Martinell <martinell at lingua.fil.ub.es>, UB

Petición de información para realizar un estudio
sociolingüístico
De: Christopher Brown <X93BROWN28 at wmich.edu>

    My name is Christopher Brown.  I am a graduate student
at Western Michigan University and am currently enrolled in
a Spanish Sociolinguistics class in which we must
investigate some sociolinguistic phenomenon and write a
paper on it.  I am investigating what I consider to be a
sort of informal Spanish "vocabulary" that I have observed
in a university environment where Spanish is in contact
with English. I hope that you might be able to help me by
answering the following questions:
1. Have you ever been witness to the use of words and
phrases in Spanish such as the following: dropear instead
of darse de baja, flonquear instead of reprobar or
suspender, El "Masters", El "PhD", el "backpack" instead of
la mochila, lonchar instead of almorzar, taipear instead of
escribir a maquina, corre(c)tar instead of corregir,
escuela alta instead of escuela secundaria, papel instead
of trabajo academico or atender (la escuela) instead of
asistir a.  This is a Yes or No question, although
affirmative responses may certainly be elaborated.

2.  If you have noted the use of such vocabulary:
1) Who were the people that used it?  Were they a) native
speakers or b) second language speakers of Spanish?
2) What was the approximate age of the person using the
vocabulary? a)15-25, b)26-35, c)36-50, d)51-
3) How would you evaluate the relative formality of the
situation in  which the RvocabularyS was used? a) highly
informal, b)informal, c)moderately formal, d)formal,
e)highly formal
4) Where (in what city, state, school) was the vocabulary
utilized?
5) Based on your perception, how would you describe the
reaction of the interlocutors? (If you were the only one,
what was your reaction?)

3.  If you have not witnessed the use of any of the words
or phrases provided above, Are there any other words or
phrases that you have heard used that might be of similar
origin (either Lexical loans or Semantic transfers from
English)?

If you could answer any or all of the above questions, you
would have my sincere gratitude for your participation
(which will be absolutely anonymous). Any and all responses
to these questions may be sent to me via e-mail at:

X93BROWN28 at wmich.edu

If there is sufficient interest, I will post a summary
of my findings to the list.