Resumen de tesis doctoral: ROBLES SÁEZ, Adela. 2001. The Poetic Image: Relations between Form and Meaning in Spanish Poetry. Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Department of Linguistics, University of California, Berkeley (EE.UU)

Carlos Subirats Rüggeberg subirats at ICSI.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu May 15 06:30:52 UTC 2003

                             INFOLING
 Lista de distribución de lingüística del español (ISSN: 1576-3404)
                  http://elies.rediris.es/infoling/
    Envío de información: infoling-request at listserv.rediris.es
                             EDITORES:
    Carlos Subirats Rüggeberg, UAB <subirats at icsi.berkeley.edu>
           Mar Cruz Piñol, U. Barcelona <mcruz at fil.ub.es>
        Eulalia de Bobes Soler, UAB <Eulalia.deBobes at uab.es>
 Equipo de edición: http://elies.rediris.es/infoling/editores.html
  "Estudios de Lingüística del Español": http://elies.rediris.es
es una red temática de lingüística del español asociada a Infoling.

                       Resumen de tesis doctoral:

1. Autora:
    ROBLES SÁEZ, Adela

2. Título de la tesis:
    The Poetic Image: Relations between Form and Meaning in Spanish
    Poetry

    2.1 Número de páginas: 330
    2.2 Palabras clave: grammar construction, conceptual integration,
                        iconicity, cognitive semantics, poetic image,
                        literary theory, Lorca, Romances.

3. Fecha de defensa:
    Mayo de 2001

4. Departamento, centro o laboratorio en el que se ha desarrollado:
    Department of Spanish and Portuguese,
    Department of Linguistics,
    University of California, Berkeley
    EE.UU

5. Director:
    Prof. Dru Dougherty

6. Proyecto o línea de investigación en el que se incluye:

7. Resumen e índice:

    Does literary meaning reside in the text, or is interpretation the
prerogative of the reader? Some literary theories claim that the text
generates meaning, others suggest that they have as many meanings as
readers. I propose a more organic approach to this issue.

    Meaning construction, transmission, and retrieval are cognitive
problem-solving operations, in which both the linguistic material and
the reader’s knowledge of the world serve as guidelines to re-create the
conceptual structure that underlies the text, and to draw pertinent
inferences related to the reader’s life. However, because cognitive
mechanisms are equal for all human beings, only inferences produced in
accordance with them are valid. A text guides to several possible
meanings, and the reader chooses those that optimize the processing of
information.

    Language resembles thought iconically. The process of association
between form and content or between two concepts is a regulated and
describable process, and those regulations are not arbitrary, but a
direct result of how our perceptual apparatus is designed. Therefore,
the relation between language and thought is naturally motivated.
Naturally motivated form/content units are perpetuated by convention and
can be imposed onto new concepts in order to save processing time.

    I apply these concepts to three distant manifestations of Spanish
poetry: medieval romances, Góngora’s baroque poetry, and Lorca’s
surrealist poems. In them we see that the octosyllabic line is one of
the most motivated lines for the expression of poetic meaning. Poetic
lines can also be organized in higher-order units designed to ease the
transmission of information.

    The minimal motivated poetic sign capable of transmitting the
motivated expression of an emotion is a poetic image. In it, an emotion
that has been conceptualized maximizing all human cognitive resources is
expressed by a conventionalized but motivated poetic unit that minimizes
the loss of information by guiding the reader closely in her
interpretation.

    Poems are composed by combining poetic images. The reader approaches
each poem with predictable expectations derived from convention, and,
using definable cognitive tools, finds associations between the
linguistic and conceptual structure of the text first, and then between
the conceptual structure and its possible interpretations according to
her own experience.

                              Table of Contents

Introduction

Chapter 1: Conceptualizing Reality into Thought
1.1. The Romances as a Field of Study
1.2. Limitations Imposed by Orality
1.3. Naturally Motivated Conceptualizations
1.3.1. Gestalt or Objecthood
1.3.2. Figures against a Background
1.3.3. Event Structure
1.3.4. Prototypes
1.3.5. Frames of Experience
        Metaphorical conceptualization
1.4. The Construction and Retrieval of Meaning
1.5. Summary

Chapter 2: Iconicity in Language
2.1. Iconicity
2.2. Iconicity at the Level of the Text
2.3. Iconicity at the Level of the Clause
2.4. Iconicity in Poetry
      The Poetic Line
      The Assonant Pair
      Patterns
      The Narrative Unit
      Formulas
2.5. The Formulaic Meaning of a Poem
2.6. Conclusions

Chapter 3: The Semantics of Poetry
3.2. Luis de Góngora y Argote
3.3. Structure of Las Soledades
3.4. Góngora’s Obscurity
3.4.1. Anti-iconicity
3.4.2. Complex Conceptual Structures
        Grammatical Skeletons: The Poetic Line and the Narrative Unit
3.5. Clarity in Góngora
3.6. Stanzas as Poetic Units
3.7. Metaphors
      Theory of Metaphor
      Conceptual and Image Metaphors
      Metaphor in Góngora
      Multiple Metaphors for a Concept
3.8. Blends
      Combined images
3.9. Linguistic Clues for Metaphors and Blends
3.10. Conclusion

Chapter 4: Autonomy and Dependency
4.1. Spanish Phonology
4.2. Rhythm
      The Meaning of Poetic Rhythm
4.3. Rhythm in the Poetic Line
      The Natural Motivation of the Octosyllabic Line
4.4. Intonation in the Poetic Unit
4.5. Metrics
      Space in Poetry
4.6. Prominent Locations in the Stanza
4.7. Language Prominent Positions and Poetic Prominent Positions
4.8. Creating Expectations in the Reader
4.9. Conclusions

Chapter 5: The Poetic Image
5.1. All Language is Formulaic
5.2. The Poetic Sign and the Poetic Image
5.3. The Matter of Poetic Images
      A Flow of Mental Images
      Motivated and Unmotivated Mental Images
      Natural Interpretation
5.4. The Elements of a Poetic Image
      Naturally Motivated Source Domains
5.5. The Semantic Structure of the Poetic Image
      Motivated Event Structures
      Source Domains of Metaphorical Event Structures
      Autonomy of the Poetic Image
      Cumulative Effect
5.6. Formal Definition of Poetic Image
5.7. The Difference between Metaphor and Poetic Image
5.8. Conclusion

Chapter 6: Triggering and Restricting Meaning through Grammar
6.1. New Poetry, Yet Again
6.2. The Real Power of Language
6.2.1.The Nature of Imaginary Entites
6.2.2.  Concealing Cognitive Mechanisms
6.3. Federico García Lorca
6.4. The Fabric of the Surrealist Poem
6.4.1. The Paratactic Level
6.4.2.  Syntactic Relations
6.5. Linguistic Triggers
6.5.1. Gestalt and Objecthood
6.5.2.  Conceptual Blends
6.5.3. Grammatical and Phonological Blends
6.6. Unchallengeable Information
6.7. Restrictions Reflected by Grammar
      Optimization
6.8. Conclusions

Chapter 7: Underspecified Information
7.1. Attention
7.2. Predetermined Prominent Positions
7.2.1. Phonological and Metrical Prominent Positions
7.2.2. Grammatical Prominent Positions
        Construction Grammar
        Metaphor and Constructions
        Locations in a Construction
        Presupposition Floats
7.3. Conclusions

Conclusions, Implications and Further Research