References

Zev bar-Lev zev.bar-Lev at SDSU.EDU
Fri Aug 13 20:38:10 UTC 2004

>To members of the KLANG-LIST,
>
>This is a great idea. Perhaps, to get us all on the "same page," could
>someone post a list of publications (not necessarily limited to URLs) so
>we could have some common reference and starting points?
>
>Hope this gets the ball rolling.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Sandy Steever

Hi, Sandy!

I think we met at the Linguistics Summer Institute in 1979.  Do I
recall you being interested in Indian languages?

I don't recall seeing your name re: submorphemes or phonesthemes.
(Or maybe I just forgot:  It took me a while to figure out that I
know you.)

Have you been interested long?  Do you do research on it?

I've been working on single initial consonants as submorphemes.  This
first "came to me" in Hebrew, where it turns out to be pervasive
enough to be pedagogically useful.  But I've seen seen enough to
convince me that it's going on in other languages as well -- even
English, where initial clusters also exist.

I'll eventually send in references to my work to the list (after/if
it gets some bibliography going) -- although it's partly off center,
since I argue more or less against ideas of onomatopoeia or
"expressiveness".

Best regards, in any case,
Zev

‚‚Ý
prof. Zev bar-Lev
Dept. of Linguistics & Oriental Languages
San Diego State University
San Diego CA 92182
e-mail: zev.bar-Lev at sdsu.edu
web-site: languagebazaar.com