References

Lawler, John M jlawler at UMICH.EDU
Sat Aug 14 00:07:21 UTC 2004

I, too, find splitting assonances into individual phonemic 'meanings' less than convincing.
But I am convinced that there are semantically coherent assonances in English.
My latest list of these is at http://www.umich.edu/~jlawler/assonancehandout.pdf.
(rimes are at  http://www.umich.edu/~jlawler/rimecoherencehandout.pdf <http://www.umich.edu/~jlawler/rimecoherencehandout.pdf> ).

Here's the list, HTML modified à la Outlook (your mileage may vary;
if this doesn't come through, consult the .pdf file on the Web).
The examples are intended to be illustrative, not exhaustive;
there are lots more in most cases.  And the semantic glosses
are just glosses.

Enjoy.

-John Lawler    U of Michigan Linguistics Dept
#include disclaimers.h
  http://www.umich.edu/~jlawler/disclaimers.html

     Assonance                       Semantics (Embodied Image)

st-       1-Dim Rigid (Standing Man)   stick staff stem stub stab step stake stave stiff stilt

str-      1-Dimensional Non-Rigid    strap string strum strain strip streak stream straw strand

br1-     1-Dim Connected (Plant)  brush break bridge brim briar browse branch bramble

br2-     Human (Gender Roles)   M: brute brawl bruise bris  F: breed broad breast bread

pr1-     1-Dimensional Extended   prick prod prop prow pretzel privet prong probe prawn

pr2-     Human (Social Roles) proper prim priest prom prissy primp proud pray preen prude

fl-       2-Dimensional    float flat flap flense fletch flood flam flange flea fleece floe floor

pl-      2-Dimensional Thick   plush plump plaque plaster plank plate plinth pleat plait plaice

n-       3-Dimensional   nick niche nook nub nugget knuckle knurl knob nipple noggin knoll

sn1-     3-Dim Convex w/ Concave (Fingers)   snap snare snatch snip snooker snag sneak

sn2-     3-Dim Convex w/ Concave (Nose)  sneeze sniff snoot snicker snub snarl snore

bl1-     Color (Eye)  blue blood blush blue black blank blotch blaze blind blond bleach

bl2-     Compressed Fluid (Eye)  blimp blush bloom blot blain blintz blood blow bloat

bl3-     Excess (‘too much’) blotto blister blast bluster blab bliss bleep blare blemish

gl-      Reflected Light (Eye)   glaze glimmer glimpse gleam glance glare glow gloss glitter

kr-      1-Dimensional Bent   crutch cripple crack crotch cross crank crimp crevice crane

kl-      Connection (‘together’) club clutch clam clamp clap cluster clench click cling cleave

skr-     2-Dimensional + 1-D Motion    scrub scram scratch scribe scrape scrawl screw scrabble

sl1-      Liquid/Solid Interface  slush slop sleet slick slather slime slurp slough sluice slurry

sl2-      Pejorative  slob slut slander slang sludge slum sloth sleazy slobber slouch slur slave

spl-     1-Dim ® 2-Dim     splay split spline splice splint splotch splash splatter

spr-     Extrusion (Plant)  sprout spread sprig spruce  (Liquid) spring sprue spray sprinkle

sk-      2-Dimensional Extended   sky scum scuff scarf scour scale skate skid skim skip

skw-   Compressed squash squint squeeze squeak squeegee squelch squirt squat squirm

sw-     Rotary Motion  swirl swerve swash swing swoop sweep swath swab swish swizzle

thr-     Constricted Path    throat through thrust throttle thread thresh throng thrall thrift

dr-      Liquid  dredge drink drop drown drought dry drain dribble drizzle drool dram

tr-       Travel  trudge trample trot trail traipse trip tread trek truck train tram track trolley

y-        Vocal  yack yammer yap yowl yell yip yawn  Interjection yuck yow yum yup yike yay