[Lexicog] new nosey word

yahganlang phonosemantics at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Apr 10 11:04:05 UTC 2004

In Yagan (Tierra del Fuego, isolate) there is a whole series of
words dealing with various emotional and mental states which begin
with an NP defining a facial body part (nose, eyes, mouth) followed
by a descriptive adjective (long, squashed, tight, flat, hanging,
flared, etc.). The most common begin with sh- which is a generic
term dealing with the face or front face of anything. Interestingly,
there are very few with the nose.

My analysis of the sh- terms seems to indicate that it primarily
deals with reactive emotionality. In fact sh- may not be
historically a facial term at all, but from the ancestor of current
svskin (v= schwa), meaning "heart, emotions, chest".

I get lvntauwa (tongue-tied) just thinking about it. ;-)

Jess Tauber

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM