[Lexicog] new nosey word

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Apr 12 21:05:27 UTC 2004

In my dialect of English it is impossible for there to be a vowel between
the 't' 'l' and 'd' in 'bottled' since the tip of the tongue never leaves
the roof of the mouth. Merriam-Webster is either wrong or describing some
other dialect of English. By contrast the tip of the tongue does drop
between the 'l' and the 'd' in 'clued'. I've noticed numerous times that
so-called phonetic transcriptions put a schwa before a syllabic 'l' 'r' or
nasal. But there is a distinct difference between the sequence of 'k' and
'l' in 'cull' and 'clue'. The first is [k*l] and the second [klu] (where *
is schwa). Similarly there is no difference in pronunciation between 'burr'
(thorny seed) and 'brrr' (idiophone for 'cold'). Both are [bR] (where R is a
syllabic r). My native speaker intuition tells me there is no vowel in these
words. English spelling is a poor guide to phonetics. If I was to write all
these words phonemically, I would spell them /batld, klud, k*l, klu, br,
br/. Similarly 'button' is /b*tn/, 'burned' is /brnd/ with a syllabic 'r',
'bull' is /bl/ (notice the contrast with 'cull' /k*l/), 'hackle' is /hAkl/
(where A is front, near-open). Unfortunately I have no minimal pairs to
prove a phonemic contrast between C*S and CS (where S is a syllabic).

There is also a frequent contrast between a words spoken in isolation, in
slow speech, and in rapid speech. Which of course creates problems for us
when we want to indicate pronunciation in a dictionary. In my dialect the
words 'been' and 'Ben' are pronounced the same in isolation. But 'been'
shortens to [bn] in 'I've been wanting to' [ayvbn wANt*] (where A is
nasalized [a] and N is the velar nasal). 'Ben' never shortens in this way.
So has anyone developed a policy for indicating such pronunciation variation
in their dictionary?

Ron Moe