[Lexicog] Dictionary Development Program

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Tue Apr 20 19:12:33 UTC 2004

A few days ago I decided to unzip the DDP files (available from our list
website) and see if I could get them working. After some stumbling around
(typical of how I begin using many programs), I was able to get DDP working
within Shoebox. DDP looks very nice within Shoebox and I can see that it
would definitely be a help to researching the lexicon of a language, just as
DDP's author, list member Ron Moe has stated.

Since my Cheyenne lexicon has such a large database already, managed by
Shoebox, I wanted some way to view DDP and my Cheyenne database at the same
time, within Shoebox. Again, stumbling around, I finally got it to work. I'm
not sure I remember all the steps I took, but for those of you who might
want to try having DDP in one Shoebox window and the vernacular language
database in another window, I recall that I had to create a new database
type, called Semdom2, and had to specify "is" as the record marker. Then I
opened the semdom.db database. The DDP Semantic Domains window that I have
now has lost the nice colors, and probably some other features which Ron
designed for DDP, but now I can continue working with Cheyenne speakers on
the Cheyenne lexicon and use the DDP resources as a guide for further
lexical research.

I tried various ways to get the standard DDP interface and my Cheyenne
lexicon to be on-screen at the same time, but was not able to get any of
those ways to work until I opened DDP in a separate window of the Shoebox
screen that already works for Cheyenne.

If any of you wish to try having DDP and your Shoebox lexicon on-screen at
the same time, you might want to consider this approach. And, in case I have
left out some of the steps I used as I stumbled around, I'm sure that the
Shoebox experts on this list can help out.

I'm off to do some more work on the Cheyenne lexicon now. Hurray!

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language