[Lexicog] dictionaries for translators

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Sun Apr 25 04:28:12 UTC 2004

I would like to raise a new issue. I know that some of you are translators
as well as lexicographers. I have observed that professional translators
have dog-eared dictionaries--they use them all the time. I attended a
conference in Hong Kong devoted to the topic of "Translation and bilingual
dictionaries." The professional translators at the conference were very
interested in the topic.

Here's the question: Assuming that you are a translator and assuming that
your dictionary is electronic, what kind of a dictionary do you need and how
would you use it? The question presupposes that you could display your
dictionary in various ways electronically. What kind of ways would you want
to display the data? How would you want to navigate through the database?
What kind of information would you want to find, how do you want to find it,
and how do you want it to look when you find it?

Ron Moe
SIL International
Phoenix, Arizona

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511