[Lexicog] Almost

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Fri Aug 6 10:57:18 UTC 2004

On 06/08/2004 01:01, Ron Moe wrote:

>This is a nice example of semantic chaining, and one can readily recognize
>the semantic links. However does this concept occur in other, especially
>non-Indo-European, languages? Does the concept include the range that the
>English word has? Would speakers recognize a semantic link between the
>translation equivalents of 'almost' in the examples above?

In Azerbaijani (Turkic), many uses of "almost" are represented by the
phrase "az qala", literally "a little remaining", or the variant "az
qaldı ki". It can I think be used for your first five senses of
"almost", but (in the absence of a native speaker to ask) I can't be
sure about the last three.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)