[Lexicog] Cheyenne dictionary printout: different PDF converter needed

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sun Aug 15 19:49:11 UTC 2004

?????Benjamin, I've already tried OpenOffice which I have on my system. It does OK converting "normal" sized documents to PDF, but it could not handle my 11 MB Cheyenne dictionary file. This morning I got access to Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and it substituted a weird, large font for my Cheyenne font, losing my diacritics in the process. I think this is turning out to be quite an appropriate topic for this list since others will have to face problems of using special characters in PDF files. My Ghostscript PDF printer driver handles my special characters just fine, but the automated process at the Internet printing company rejects that PDF format.

Thanks,
Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Benjamin J Barrett
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2004 12:51 PM
  Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Cheyenne dictionary printout: different PDF converter needed

  Wayne,

  OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) is a free download (about 60 MB) that includes in its document software (basically Word) a PDF converter. Although there are restrictions, another option is a student discount on Adobe Acrobat. I bought a copy for about $70 a year or two back (it was recently stolen), though I can't find anything online right now for less than $100 (i.e., http://www.gradware.com/acrobat-comparison.asp).

  For printing, some Costco stores have inexpensive copying, though there may be a minimum.

  HTH

  Benjamin Barrett
  Baking the World a Better Place
  www.hiroki.us