[Lexicog] Cheyenne dictionary success

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Mon Aug 16 04:44:59 UTC 2004

MessageTonight the Internet printing company accepted my latest PDF upload of an interim version of the Cheyenne-English part of a new Cheyenne Dictionary. I like the automated process offered by the company, Lulu.com. Their computer automatically designed a cover which I thought looked nice and accepted it. Perhaps some of you would like to consider using the services of this company. Their prices seem less to me than what many other printers charge. I think the price for the nearly 600 page Cheyenne dictionary will be very close to $20, far less than what Kinko's charges. There are three Cheyenne authors along with myself.

If you would like to see the Cheyenne Dictionary on the Lulu website, here is the Internet address:

http://www.lulu.com/content/69330

It is available for purchase in book form or for a nominal fee for a PDF download. There are no royalties from the book for this interim copy since I was trying to price the book as low as possible for distribution to key Cheyenne speakers, including the dictionary committee. Eventually, Chief Dull Knife College, on the reservation, will get royalties from a committee-approved final edition of the dictionary, to help in the language and culture programs at the college.

Now our dictionary committee has a lot of work to check and revise this interim copy, add more entries, etc. We're working under a grant from the American Philosophical Society (Phillips Fund). The dictionary copyright is held by the local Cheyenne college which also helped fund the Cheyenne speakers who have worked on this new dictionary.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language