[Lexicog] Cheyenne dictionary printout: different PDF converter needed

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sun Aug 15 23:01:15 UTC 2004

MessageSuccess!

I just did a small test pdf conversion through the Adobe online service and the Cheyenne font came out right this time. What was needed was that I embed fonts in my Microsoft Word document. That's probably obvious to many people, but it was new to me. If it's new to any of you, and you are using MS Word, go to Tools / Options / Save and put a check (tick) in the box next to "Embed TrueType fonts." You might also need to check the boxes next to the one or two (depending on your version of Word) subpoint.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wayne Leman
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2004 3:17 PM
  Subject: [Lexicog] Cheyenne dictionary printout: different PDF converter needed

  I agree that the Internet printing process *should* accept a pdf file regardless of how it was produced, but I've run into a wall with the automated process I'm trying. Since my dictionary is 600+ pages long (and I omitted the English-Cheyenne Index since its 250 pp. would have put the book over the 700 pp max), I have to be careful which printers I use since some charge prices that make an individual book cost nearly $80 (U.S.). I think I can get the book price down to approx. $20 with the right Internet printer. I have checked out quite a few. Some want to charge setup fees which our small budget cannot afford.

  As for using Adobe's website, that is precisely what I did this morning. Adobe's automated process substituted some other strange (and big) font for my Cheyenne font which displays and prints a few special diacritics.

  I keep trying different things. Dictionaries are worth the effort and I learn from it all.

  Wayne
  -----