[Lexicog] I need a negative word for amazed

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BLUEFELTHAT.ORG
Wed Aug 18 00:31:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 19:23, Mike Sangrey wrote:
<snip>
> What got me started on this, BTW, was dealing with the sentence:  "Give
> to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's"  I discovered two
> things:  This is the only place in Mat. where the Herodians are
> specifically mentioned as participants AND the very last words of
> Mattathias Maccabaeus (who the Herodians would have had strong
> associations with at the time of Christ) were:  "Pay back the Gentiles
> in full, and obey the commands of the law."  There HAS GOT to be an
> allusion there.  It appears Jesus has turned revolution thinking on its
> head with several double meanings.  Fascinating!

I just realized that this appears to be saying that *I* did the original
research to discover this.  Ummmm...Dat ain't exactly right.  I asked
and answered the question about the number of occurrences of "Herodians"
in Matthew--that was easy.  I think it's important information given the
importance of participants in discourse analysis.  However, the
perceptive Mattathias observation goes to NT Wright.  I was reading his
"Jesus and the Victory of God" and the above information was
so...epiphanous (is that a word?) it felt like discovery.  Far be it
from me to take credit from the Bishop of Durham.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM