[Lexicog] Lexique Pro - More Info window

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Wed Aug 18 23:09:22 UTC 2004

I said:

> > Wayne,
> >
> > Perhaps I am not running Lex. Pro right, but I am unable to view all
> > of the text about SIL in the More Info window. There is text outside
> > the window to the right and I can't find a slider bar to view it. I
> > have tried resizing the windows and the program itself but the text
> > slides along with the resizing and still is outside the window. I
> > fixed the problem for my "About Cheyenne" info text by using Microsoft
> > Word to set the right margin of my text at about 4.5".

Richard replied:

> > Sorry - I can't reproduce this. It seems to word-wrap ok for me. I
> > wonder whether it happens for other people?
> > The SIL Info file is found in Program Files\SIL\Lexique Pro\Info. I'm
> > wondering:
> > - does it display ok if you load it in Internet Explorer?
> > - are you able to install Lexique Pro on another computer and get the
> > same problem?
> >
> > Perhaps you could send me a screenshot - so I can see... I'm not sure
> > why it would be happening.

Peter suggested:

> I haven't tried Lexique Pro, but this sounds like the kind of problem
> which arises from different screen resolutions. Programs often set the
> size of a window in pixels and assume that that will be large enough for
> the message on all systems, because it is on the developer's system. But
> users with high resolution screens have their systems set so that text
> and icons are their regular size measured in absolute units, which
> implies that measured in pixels they are a larger size than the
> developer expected. So the window is not big enough.
>
> The moral of this is, don't specify window sizes in pixels, but as far
> as possible let the system fit them to their content.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk

I respond:

Yes, it does seem to be an issue of pixels. I have a standard shaped monitor
for my desktop computer which is where I first installed Lexique Pro. The
settings for my desktop monitor are 1024 x 768 pixels. My laptop is a new
wide-screen (works nicely for data), 1280 x 854 pixels. Lex. Pro has a right
margin slider for its big window on my desktop. And even not using the
slider I am able to view entire lines of "About" files on my desktop. No
right margin slider shows up on my laptop. I just tried the 1024 x 768
setting on my laptop and the problem remains--and my screen looks awful as
do my other programs. I have a decent fix Lex. Pro for now by forcing
shorter lines in the Info files. I viewed index.htm in the \Info folder of
Lex. Pro and it displays fine in my browser, IE 6.0. But then the file is
not competing with any other frames whereas there is space competition
within the Lex. Pro screen.

I intended my original message about the text viewing to go to you
privately, Richard, but I made a mistake and it got sent to the entire list.
Maybe that's good since Peter was able to contribute to the exchange.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language