[Lexicog] What is a bat? - natural and unnatural terms

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Aug 18 23:37:58 UTC 2004

Most (but not all) categories are defined from a human perspective. For
instance I believe the difference between 'river' 'stream' and 'brook' in my
dialect is not the size of the river, but how a person would cross it. A
person would swim across a river or look for a place to ford it. A person
would wade across a stream. A person would jump across a brook.

In the case of animals many of our terms have to do with how we interact
with animals: tame/domesticated, wild, game, edible, livestock, draft,
dangerous. There are other distinctions, such as where the animal lives: sea
creature, burrowing rodent, arboreal. Another is what the animal eats:
carnivore. These distinctions intersect: a rat is an inedible, omnivorous,
burrowing rodent. This complexity nicely illustrates the multidimensional,
non-hierarchical, overlapping, fuzzy-boundary nature of domains.

Ron Moe

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Brewster [mailto:C.Brewster at dcs.shef.ac.uk]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:07 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] What is a bat? - natural and unnatural terms

There is a story I remember that a rodent in Venezuela or somewhere in
that part of the world spends all its time in the water to the extent
that the locals have recategorized as fish for fasting purposes (they
are Catholics). I am not sure whether the church agree or not.

Can someone confirm this?

This seems to imply that all categories are a matter of perpspective and
purpose even when it comes to classifying an animal a fish or not.

Christopher Brewster

Natural Language Processing Group,
Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield
Tel: +44(0)114-22.21967  Fax: +44 (0)114-22.21810
Regent Court, 211 Portobello Street
Sheffield   S1 4DP   UNITED KINGDOM
Web: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~kiffer/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM