more about scientific names - was Re: [Lexicog] Linnaeanclassifications in MDF

Crockett asigwan at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 29 10:48:37 UTC 2004

Susan,

I think your scientific names from 1950 and earlier will have changed a
lot between then and 2004. I would advise bringing them up to date as
much as you can.

I try to list the current scientific name and any other previous
scientific names which commonly come up on searches I make on the
Internet. One good site I've found for this is located at

http://www.hear.org/gcw/ (A Global Compendium of Weeds)

An example at this site of a plant with various scientific names
(current and previous) is the entry below for prickly pear cactus:

http://www.hear.org/gcw/html/autogend/species/13462.HTM

Opuntia ficus-indica

Synonyms/other Latin names: Cactus ficus-indica L., Opuntia castillae
Griffiths, Opuntia compressa (Salisb.) Macbr. (see), Opuntia
incarnadilla Griffiths, Opuntia megacantha Salm-Dyck (see), Opuntia
occidentalis Engelm., Opuntia vulgaris Mill. (see)
Common name(s): Indian fig, tuna cactus, sweet pricklypear, mission
pricklypear, prickly pear, spineless cactus, Boereturksvy,
grootdoringturksvy, spiny pest pear
Status(es) (compiled from below "Data sources"): Weed~Quarantine
Weed~Noxious Weed~Naturalised~Introduced~Garden Escape~Environmental
Weed~Cultivation Escape
Data sources:
10~34~51~63~72~76~86~87~88~95~98~101~121~151~152~158~198~203~228~261~269
~272~278~279~283~287
          NOTE: for now (until database/website are updated), you must
manually search for each data source in the GWC Data
<http://www.hear.org/gcw/html/autogend/datasources.htm>  Sources
document.)
Origin (native to where): Central America
Environmental extremes tolerated: Arid
Cultivated - Toxic - Medicinal/culinary uses
Another example is the page for white broom:

http://www.hear.org/gcw/html/autogend/species/16147.HTM

Retama monosperma

Synonyms/other Latin names: Genista monosperma (L.) Lam. (see), Lygos
monosperma (L.) Heywood (see)
Common name(s): bridal broom, white weeping broom, bridal veil broom
Status(es) (compiled from below "Data sources"): Weed~Sleeper
Weed~Noxious Weed~Naturalised
Data sources: 35~78~80~88~98~116~231
          NOTE: for now (until database/website are updated), you must
manually search for each data source in the GWC
<http://www.hear.org/gcw/html/autogend/datasources.htm>  Data Sources
document.)
Origin (native to where): southern Europe
Environmental extremes tolerated:
Cultivated - -
The database has tons of plants, trees, and flowers listed, but there is
not always information posted on all of them. And it is not always up to
date either. For example, I think the most recent scientific name for
prickly pear cactus is actually Opuntia maxima, but they do not list it.
There are probably even better sites for the new scientific names, but I
don't remember them right now.

Crockett