[Lexicog] Interesting lexical discoveries

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Tue Feb 3 20:57:52 UTC 2004

I have been interested in the large number of lexical entries Cheyenne has
for 'persuade, convince.' I don't know what, if anything, to attribute this
to (I'm not a fan of pseudo-psychological speculations about lexical
clustering, although I do believe that culturally salient items do seem to
be represented by a larger number of lexically associated items than
non-salient items). Cheyenne is a strongly egalitarian and communal society
with social leveling widely practiced. At the same time, seemingly in
conflict, individualism is strongly protected (Katherine Weist wrote a
dissertation on individualism within the strongly communal Cheyenne
society). Well, if I *were* speculating (!), I might suggest that in a
society where individualism is strongly protected there could be a need for
a number of terms for different kinds of persuasion practiced.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Busby, Montana, U.S.A.