[Lexicog] Percentage of idioms vs single words

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Wed Feb 4 21:44:23 UTC 2004

I am not sure if counting percentages of MWEs in the lexicon of a given
language will tell us very much about the lexicon of the language. Surely
the percentages of MWEs will depend on the semantics and history of the
language? For e.g. in Amele (Papuan) there are many single-word-entries
(SWEs) which translate into English as MWEs - such as

bec    'to come up'
lec    'to go (in)'
nec    'to come down'
noc    'to go down'
tec    'to go up'

These Amele verbs combine MOTION+DIRECTION in a single lexical unit. On the
other hand, Amele has MWEs which translate into English as SWEs, such as

cal mec    'to die (lit. to become stiff)'
sib qoc    'to yawn (lit. to hit chin)'
ji fec        'to taste (lit. eat and see)'
wa nec    'to rain (lit. water come down)'

So I would only see a purpose in counting percentages of MWEs if it was done
in particular semantic domains. Then you might learn something interesting
about the semantics of the language.

John Roberts