[Lexicog] Percentage of idioms vs single words

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Feb 4 22:04:34 UTC 2004

Many things burn, but not all can be expressed by '(substance) fire'. We
don't normally talk of a 'candle fire' (but cf. candlelight). But we do have
a small set of conventionalized substance fires because those substances
have special relevance when talking about fires. 'Forest fires' and 'grass
fires' are dangerous and rage out of control. They are featured on the
evening news. (Note that a forest fire is not a fire in a forest, but a
forest that is burning.) 'House fires' destroy something of great value.
'Oil fires' and 'electric fires' (note that the electricity is not burning
but is the cause of the fire) are of special relevance because of the
difficulty and danger in putting them out (water makes them worse). 'Wood
fires' have sentimental value if you like fireplaces and camping out. I've
never heard of a 'city fire'. 'Paper fire' and 'plastic fire' are grading
off into coined expressions on analogy from the other more conventionalized
phrases. 'Plastic forest fires' are at the extreme end of the
continuum--invented by a lexicographer as a unnatural example of usage. :)

Here's my template for the relevant semantic domain:

5.5 Fire
Use this domain for general words that refer to fire and for words referring
to types of fire. These words may be specific for what is being burned
(forest fire 'a fire burning a forest'), the size of the fire (inferno 'a
very large hot fire'), or the place where the fire burns (hellfire 'the fire
in hell').

(1) What general words refer to a fire?  fire, combustion
(2) What types of fire are there?  cook fire, bonfire, controlled fire, burn
a field before planting, fireball, torch, firebrand, fireworks, firecracker
(3) What words refer to what is being burned?  house fire, forest fire,
grass fire, wood fire, oil fire
(4) What words refer to the size of the fire?  spark, flame, flicker,
finger, tongue, flare, blaze, conflagration, inferno, raging inferno
(5) What words refer to where the fire is?  campfire, hellfire
(6) What words describe something that burns easily?  flammable,
inflammable, combustible
(7) What words describe something that will not burn?  fireproof,
unburnable, fire-resistant, unquenchable
(8) What words refer to the crime of burning someone's house or field?
arson, arsonist

Ron Moe
SIL, Uganda