[Lexicog] Kweyol dictionary: Why popular? How user-friendly?

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sun Jan 25 05:32:24 UTC 2004

> Dear David,
>
> >David, I believe Yahoo Groups allows attachments and I have the groups
> settings to allow them. So you can attach a small Microsoft Word sample
> file
> with formatting and graphics to a message, if you wish.
>
> No no. Don't do that. We won't have the fonts. The layout will mess up.
> It'll be a nightmare. Instead I would suggest printing a subset of the
> dictionary to PDF (see www.sil.org/~hosken/utils/PDFCreate.html for
> details) and submit that. Then we will have true WYSIWYG.

Thanks, Martin. Yes, I agree, if someone has special fonts, PDF format is a
good way to save them for everyone to view, on any operating system, as far
as I know.

I prefer a process which is even easier than the one you describe. I use
pdf995 from URL:
http://www.pdf994.com

There is no setup, other than copying the pdf printer driver to my Microsoft
Windows printer driver folder.

A question: Is there any way to get URL links to be active within PDF
documents. I have many sound file liinks within my dictionary files. The
links work fine within MS Word, but when I make a PDF file to keep my
special Cheyenne characters, the links show up with the usual blue
underlining but they are not active. Nothing happens when I click on them. I
cannot access my sound files from my PDF document. Is this just a quirk of
the PDF printer driver I am using, or is it true of all PDF documents?

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Busby, Montana, U.S.A.
Cheyenne dictionary project:
http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language/cddicy.htm

> And as someone interested particularly in the typesetting of dictionaries,
> please do do the above :)
>
> GB,
> Martin

Yahoo! Groups Links