[Lexicog] bilingual dictionaries

mmyit mmyit at YAHOO.IT
Tue Jan 27 19:12:23 UTC 2004

Lou,
one year ago I started working for a French publishing house and now
I would like to spread my lexicographic knowledge by writing what
I've learned (and I'm still learning) on French-Italian dictionaries
and their creation. My experience concerns mainly bilingual
dictionaries of small size, but I'm interested in dictionaries of
big size too. One of the issues that I'm going to develop in my
thesis is how to treat polysemies. To distinguish the meanings of a
word, collocators are much more useful than synonyms, but synonyms
are still much more frequent than collocators in many bilingual
dictionaries. I know that in dictionaries of small size it is not
possible to insert all the collocators which allow the same
translation for a word, but this is not the case of big bilingual
dictionaries, where there's no need to use synonyms instead of
collocators in order to save space. Don't you think that collocators
would better help foreign users to understand the meaning(s) of a
lexical item?
Bye
Mery

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, 'Lou Hohulin'
<lou_hohulin at s...> wrote:
> Hi Mery,
>
> How have you defined your thesis problem? We can be of more help
to you if we understand more of the scope of your thesis. Those of
us on the discussion list are a varied group, and your mailbox may
quickly overflow with messages that have little relevance to what
you are trying to do if we don't know your focus.

> Mike Maxwell has made some very good comments about the
differences between bilingual dictionaries of highly documented
languages and those of languages that have been largely
undocumented. Although some lexicographic principles are general and
appropriate for any type of dictionary, many functional principles
are specific to the languages involved, the purpose of the
dictionary, the audience, etc. Most of our problems in developing
quality dictionaries are rooted in the specifics of the two
languages and the purpose for compiling the dictionary.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM