[Lexicog] small - big, cool - hot

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Mon Jul 12 16:02:13 UTC 2004

Thank you, Margarita,

Here are Brazilian Portuguese equivalents which I just collected from a
Brazilian (written in Caps),

Fritz Goerling

  These are possible translations in European Portuguese:

  big baby - bebé grande  - BEBE GRANDE
  big boy (a grown-up man who behaves like a big boy) - ?  MENINAO
  big man (in politics) - grande homem  - GRANDE HOMEM
  big idea - grande ideia  - GRANDE IDEIA
  big deal (used sarcastically) - grande coisa!  - GRANDE COISA!

  small house - casa pequena  - CASA PEQUENA
  small business - pequeno negócio  PEQUENO NEGOCIO
  small minded - cabeçudo, picuinhas, de ideias fixas  - MENTE LIMITADA
  small change - pequena mudança  - TROCADO
  small beer (a trivial matter) - ? (We may of course express this idea
  but I can't find a fixed
  expression)  COISA PEQUENA

  cool drink - bebida fresca  - BEBIDA GELADA
  cool reception - fria recepção  - RECEPCAO FRIA
  cool idea - grande / boa ideia  - GRANDE / BOA IDEIA

  hot drink - bebida quente  - BEBIDA QUENTE
  hot day - dia quente  - DIA QUENTE
  hot pepper - pimenta forte  - PIMENTA  FORTE
  hot reception - recepção calorosa  - RECEPCAO CALOROSA
  hot favourite - (principal) favorito  - GRANDE FAVOROITO

  Margarita Correia

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

---