[Lexicog] polysynthetic languages and dictionaries

Melissa Axelrod axelrod at UNM.EDU
Wed Jun 2 07:42:39 UTC 2004

But can't you tell Athabaskan dictionary users to
pull out the last syllable (unless it's one of a small
set of enclitics) and then look that up? You'd have
to have an entry for every stem - leading to the main
root entry - but that's still less than listing every inflected
form and easier for the user than having to know
everything about the morphology and morphophonemics
of the language. I think that's our plan for the Jicarilla
dictionary -  a main entry at the root, cross-references
for each stem, and an entry for the 3rd person imperfective
form of the primary theme, with a pointer to the main
root entry. Is there a user-friendlier system?
  Melissa

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM