[Lexicog] Shoebox filename glitch

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sat Mar 6 20:28:55 UTC 2004

Wayne Leman wrote:
> ... I can,
> of course, change to using letters "b," "c," etc., at the end of a
> filename, instead of using numbers, but this can be confusing since a
> letter can sometimes look like part of the word (given in the
> filename) rather than a means to differentiate related files.

To avoid the confusion, you could use "_a", "_b" etc.  E.g. "foo_a.bar".

> I have more than 7,000 sound files, many of which have numbers, so it
> is a fairly big job to rename my files which have numbers in their
> names, as well as revise their filenames in the appropriate fields of
> Shoebox, hoping I catch all instances of each filename (some
> filenames are properly entered in more than one place in my database).

There are many ways this could be done.  A DOS batch file would take care of
the filenames themselves.  (I know how I would do this in a Unix shell file,
I'm not experienced enough in DOS or the Windows command prompt to know how
to do it there.  Maybe someone else can suggest the code.)

For the Shoebox file, a good text editor which allows the use of regular
expressions (not Notepad) should be able to make the changes more or less
automatically.  You might even be able to use Word, reading and writing to
text file.  Or a program like 'cc' or 'sed' would do it.

    Mike Maxwell
    Linguistic Data Consortium
    maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu