[Lexicog] sense groupings

Kenneth Keyes ken_keyes at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 8 06:03:26 UTC 2004

Dear all,

I have a question about sense groupings. In the following example, my national colleague and I have a disagreement over whether different spheres/semantic domains in which a word is used constitute separate sense groups.  What do you all think about it? Is it one sense group or two?

\lx епті
\ps adj
\sn 1
\ge skillful, wise, apt (of trades)
\sn 2
\ge skillful, cunning (of social skills)
\gd anstellig, gewandt, geschickt
\nt This seems to be one meaning, but I question whether two senses are necessary (KCK)

Looking forward to your comments with interest.

Ken Keyes