[Lexicog] Prototypical dogs and cats (was: Criteria for example sentences)

Translation MALI translation_mali at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 17 10:42:31 UTC 2004

Today at coffee break we discussed among SIL colleagues
what a prototypical dog is, not from the perspective of
form/looks but attitude. We found a good way to approach
that question is to compare dogs with cats (who, as a
rule, fight with one another).

Someone said "a dog is devoted to his master"
             "a cat is devoted to himself"

Someone shared the following comparison:

A dog thinks: "My master feeds me, he treats me well,
              he must be God."
A cat thinks: "My master feeds me, he treats me well,
              I must be God."

Any other insights into the canine and the feline?

Fritz Goerling