[Lexicog] excel to word

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed Mar 17 13:29:40 UTC 2004

Kenneth Keyes wrote:
> Someone has just asked me how to get export a dictionary they
> compiled in MS Excel to rtf. Any ideas?

Offhand, I don't think it's possible, at least not directly.  You might be
able to import it into Word and save as rtf from there.

But I think the better question to ask is, why?  There are many other export
formats from Excel (comma delimited, HTML, ...).  RTF is not a standard
(outside of Microsoft), so it's not clear why it would be advantageous to
export it in that format (or what process is supposed to read it in in that
format).

Of course another question is why the dictionary was compiled in Excel in
the first place.  For all but the simplest dictionaries (comparative
wordlists, maybe), that's probably not a good idea.  But maybe they figured
this out, and that's why they're exporting...

    Mike Maxwell
    Linguistic Data Consortium
    maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu