[Lexicog] Query re "Fiesta" concordance program

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Mar 19 19:46:37 UTC 2004

Howdy,

A. I was interested and pleased a few years ago to see the concordance
program "Fiesta" developed at SIL, but it was a DOS program and I don't
know whether it was ever developed further. I'd be interested to know
about it.

B. Some years ago I worked with Ross McDonald at Georgetown University in
utilizing the collocational program they developed in conjunction with
their Russian-English machine translation program on IBM mainframes. It
had two particularly valuable features:

	1) one could get frequency listings of words, either
alphabetically or by frequency, in parallel columns for several (I think
up to 5) texts, which was useful for comparing texts and looking at effect
of text type/style/domain on relative frequencies;

	2) collocations within any text could be listed by descending
frequency, selecting two-, three-, four-, or five-word combinations, so
that it was easy inspectionally to find significant and often unexpected
collocations (weapons of mass destruction, anyone?)

I wonder whether either or both of these functions are available in any
currently available concordance software? They are something I have often
wished for.

	Rudy