[Lexicog] Sorting

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 23 14:32:50 UTC 2004

What is being discussed as "sorting handles" or "alphabetic keys" sounds
similar to the Shoebox/Toolbox/MDF field, "citation form." When outputting
dictionaries for printing through Word, this system can sort either on the
lexeme field or the citation field.

Thus, in Rapoisi most citation forms have a "bo" prefix, e.g., "bo taruu'e"
'sit'. The keyword appears in the dictionary as "bo taruu'e (from:
taruu'e)", sorted under "T". You can customize the label that appears
("from:"), but I think you'd need some other tag in the record and a Word
macro if you wanted more than one possible label. I don't know if this is
flexible enough for your purposes.

Also, in another recent email someone mentioned a bar(|) which appears in
lexemes, and the need to ignore this character when sorting or printing.
Shoebox/Toolbox allows one to specifiy "ignored characters" for a sort
order. As others in this discussion group have said, sorting and filtering
in this program are very flexible, designed for languages with digraphs &
non-European fonts.

Can someone please clarify for me: Is it true that the old Philippines
dictionary project is the "papa" of MDF--Multi-Dictionary Formatter--which
is built into Shoebox/Toolbox for formatting and printing dictionaries?

Kim Blewett