[Lexicog] Re: Native speaker accessibility to Alg. dictionaries

Richard Rhodes rrhodes at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Mar 29 17:56:02 UTC 2004

Wayne,
	One possible idea to deal with semi-sophisticated users who
forget to strip prefixes is to list forms with a given prefix and
cross-reference with dummy entries. In a dictionary of 10,000
entries, adding 100 or 2000 which get one past the prefix hurdle is
not excessive. So the Cheyenne dictionary would contain the following
entries, appropriately alphabetized:

naaa- see eaa-
naa'a- see ea'a-
na'aa- see e'aa-
na'a'a- see e'a'a-
naae- see eae-
naa'e- see ea'e-
na'ae- see e'ae-
na'a'e- see e'a'e-
naah- see eah-
na'ah- see e'ah-
naak- see eak-
na'ak- see e'ak-
naam- see eam-
na'am- see e'am-
naan- see ean-
na'an- see e'an-
naao- see eao-
naa'o- see ea'o-
na'ao- see e'ao-
na'a'o- see e'a'o-
naap- see eap-
naas- see eas-
na'as- see e'as-
na'ap- see e'ap-
naat- see eat-
na'at- see e'at-
naats- see eats-
na'ats- see e'ats-
naav- see eav-
na'av- see e'av-

naea- see eea-
nae'a- see ee'a-
na'ea- see e'ea-
na'e'a- see e'e'a-
naee- see eee-
nae'e- see ee'e-
na'ee- see e'ee-
na'e'e- see e'e'e-
naeh- see eeh-
na'eh- see e'eh-
naek- see eek-
na'ek- see e'ek-
naem- see eem-
na'em- see e'em-
naen- see een-
na'en- see e'en-
naeo- see eeo-
nae'o- see ee'o-
na'eo- see e'eo-
na'e'o- see e'e'o-
naep- see eep-
na'ep- see e'ep-
naes- see ees-
na'es- see e'es-
naet- see eet-
na'et- see e'et-
naets- see eets-
na'ets- see e'ets-
naev- see eev-
na'ev- see e'ev-

naha- see eha-
nahe- see ehe-
nahk- see ehk-
naho- see eho-
nahp- see ehp-
naht- see est-
nahts- see ests-

naka- see eka-
nake- see eke-
nako- see eko-

nama- see ema-
name- see eme-
namo- see emo-

nana- see ena-
nane- see ene-
nano- see eno-

	etc.

Of course, not all the theoretically possible root onset syllables
are realized, so those that aren't can be eliminated. (I actually did
this for the variants in b ~ p ~ bb, g ~ k ~ gg, and d ~ t ~ dd in
Ottawa.)

The thing about dictionaries is that you are not punished for
redundancy in moderation. And appropriate redundancy can pay big
dividends for users.

Rich

  Richard A. Rhodes
  Department of Linguistics