[Lexicog] Shoebox: Are internal hyperlinks possible for export?

Norbert Rennert norbert.rennert at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 31 18:24:59 UTC 2004

David,

I think that it would be possible to put everything into one file, but that
wouldn't solve your loading time problem at all. Instead of having your
whole lexicon split into 26 (or however many your language needs) parts and
you only download a file when you need it, you have to download the whole
file at the beginning. You can definitely modify the html output that
Shoebox produces to create various kinds of layouts etc. The beauty of what
Shoebox does now is that it can write the bulk of the html and create
hyperlinks for you automatically, saving you tons of time.
In regards to the 'Language learning Library' section, on the cd I have
included the complete NT translations of each language in html so that a
user can click on a word and have the dictionary scroll to that entry
automatically. This can be done with any text you wish to include.
Unfortunately, the current javascript that does this is not very
sophisticated so that it only works for those languages and words which
occur in the dictionary. Creole languages are ideal candidates for that
script. Languages which have any kind of affixation will not work with this
script. However, there might be ways to write more complex scripts that
would be able to create this kind of functionality for more morphologically
complex languages. Another way to achieve this effect for languages with
only limited morphological variations would be to include the variations as
html anchors at the respective dictionary entry so that even if the surface
form in the story would be different from the dictionary entry, it would
match the anchor and successfully link to the entry. This kind of
functionality could be achieved through the use of cc tables which would add
the anchors after the html export. But I have not done this on any project
yet, so I can't say how easy it would be to implement it. But it should be
possible.

Norbert Rennert