[Lexicog] "lamb" as a metaphor

Patrick Hanks hanks at BBAW.DE
Fri May 7 14:11:29 UTC 2004

Attached is a file (in two formats) with a selection of allusive uses of "lamb" in English extracted from BNC.
(Sorry, it's only English...)

In addition to the clichés you mention, English has:
  a.. like a lamb to the slaughter
  b.. meek as a lamb
  c.. gentle as a lamb
  d.. innocent as a lamb
  e.. helpless as a lamb
  f.. mild as a lamb
  g.. like a little lost lamb
  h.. a sacrificial lamb (is this different from a scapegoat?)
  i.. the lamb of God
  j.. the paschal lamb
  k.. He took it like a lamb.
  l.. [The month of] March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.
  m.. etc.
Lambs also collocate interestingly with "lions", "eagles", "wolves", "foxes", and "dogs".

Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of uses of "lamb" in English are as a mass noun -- lamb
as meat ---  closely followed by lamb(s) -- count noun -- as farm animals.  The file
appended here represents about 1% of the total.

In English, as in Russian and (I suppose) other European languages, this word is
shot through with Christian and Judaic religious imagery.  Whether one is a Christian
or not, one cannot deny the influence of the Bible -- specifically the Wycliffe and
King James versions of the Bible -- on the phraseology of English from the 16th
century to the present day.

The word "intertextuality" springs to mind.

I would expect something similar in Arabic and Iranian. Am I right?
Islam, after all, is one of the three "heavenly" religions.

But then, to echo Fritz's question, what about cultures which, historically, have
other religious norms?  Hindu, Buddhist, Confucian, Shintoist, etc.  Are prototypical
lambs any different in such cultures?

Patrick