[Lexicog] "lamb" as a metaphor

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Tue May 11 15:52:56 UTC 2004

On 10/05/2004 07:13, Katerina Stathi wrote:

> Modern Greek again: This metaphor is not used to refer to the taming
> of animals. It is only associated with the characterization of people,
> although I cannot exclude its occurrence with animals in quite
> facetious contexts.
> In my last e-mail I forgot to add that the religious uses are covered
> by a different word with the meaning 'lamb', namely /amnós/ which is
> the word used in Ancient Greek and in the Bible.
> Ekaterini Stathi

Actually in the Greek New Testament ?????? (arnion) is used 28 times,
all but one in Revelation, and ???? (aren) is used once, whereas ?????
(amnos) is used only four times, including the famous "Lamb of God"
passages in John chapter 1. This discussion in fact started, on another
list, with the issue of what the semantic distinction is between ??????
(arnion) and ????? (amnos).

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)