[Lexicog] "spin doctor"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri May 21 18:58:37 UTC 2004

Hi there, Patrick,

As I am not a native speaker of English I believe you and Steve White, who
said the same about this term coming from sports.
As I play table tennis, I know what a top spin is. I don't know cricket but
have heard about the term "googly" (through Peter Kirk,
an Englishman on this list) which must refer to when you give the ball a
strong spin.

Thanks.

Fritz

  Hi again Fritz -

  The definition that you quote seems to me a good one, but I don't think
the expression has anything to do with spinning a yarn (which is a metaphor
from the wool trade).  It's from "putting a spin on [something]", which is,
I believe, a metaphor from either cricket or baseball. In cricket, unlike
baseball, the ball is allowed to bounce between the bowler (= pitcher) and
the batsman (= batter). Slow bowlers put a lot of spin on the ball, which
causes it to change direction quite dramatically when it bounces, thus
deceiving or confusing the batsman. I believe that in baseball spin causes
the ball to swerve in the air.

  I'm copying this to my former colleague Philip Durkin at OED; who may be
able to say when and where "spin doctor" originated and indeed whether the
metaphor is from cricket or baseball. (He will, I hope, correct any errors
in what I've said here.)

  Patrick Hanks