[Lexicog] sounds animals make

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sun May 23 02:55:07 UTC 2004

Some languages, like English, have an extensive lexicon for characteristic
sounds made by different animals, e.g.

neigh, whinny, snort : horse
bark, growl: dog
howl: dog, coyote, wolf
grunt, snort: hog/pig
chirp/sing: bird
meow: cat
cackle: chicken
crow: rooster
laugh: hyena
low: cow
gobble: turkey
quack: duck
honk: goose

Other languages, such as Cheyenne, have very few words for the sounds made
by specific animals. I only know of the word emaa'e 'he is barking' used of
a dog, for Cheyenne. Otherwise, other sounds of animals are covered by the
generic word enestoohe "he is making the sound."

How about for one or more languages you have researched? How extensive is
the vocabulary for characteristic sounds made by different animals? At this
point, I'm not asking for the onomatopoeic words mimicking the sounds made
by animals (e.g. English woof woof, cockle doodle doo) but that would be
another interesting collection.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman