[Lexicog] "googly" and metaphors of deception

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 23 21:18:48 UTC 2004

Fritz's comment on "master" (below) applies not just to the period from
the Middle Ages to the 17th century. "Master" in colloquial Mexican
Spanish has two forms: maestro [maéstro], a term of respect, as in
reference to a symphony orchestra person, and máestro (which I hear as
[máistro]), which is appropriate in address to an artisan (especially, in
my experience, a mason) or schoolteacher, the polite presumption being
that the person is skilled at his/her trade/profession.

--Ken