[Lexicog] sounds animals make

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Mon May 24 10:41:07 UTC 2004

On 22/05/2004 19:55, Wayne Leman wrote:

> Some languages, like English, have an extensive lexicon for characteristic
> sounds made by different animals, e.g.
>
> neigh, whinny, snort : horse
> bark, growl: dog
> howl: dog, coyote, wolf
> grunt, snort: hog/pig
> chirp/sing: bird
> meow: cat
> cackle: chicken
> crow: rooster
> laugh: hyena
> low: cow
> gobble: turkey
> quack: duck
> honk: goose
>
> Other languages, such as Cheyenne, have very few words for the sounds made
> by specific animals. I only know of the word emaa'e 'he is barking'
> used of
> a dog, for Cheyenne. Otherwise, other sounds of animals are covered by the
> generic word enestoohe "he is making the sound."
>
> How about for one or more languages you have researched? How extensive is
> the vocabulary for characteristic sounds made by different animals? At
> this
> point, I'm not asking for the onomatopoeic words mimicking the sounds made
> by animals (e.g. English woof woof, cockle doodle doo) but that would be
> another interesting collection.

But surely most of the English verbs you list are onomatopoeic?
(Probably all except the generic "sing" and "laugh".) I ask this because
I can't offer Azerbaijani words which are not onomatopoeic, but I
suspect that the same is true in most languages.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM