[Lexicog] "meat market" as bodybuilders' slang

Patrick Hanks hanks at BBAW.DE
Mon May 24 15:29:41 UTC 2004

Is the following relevant to the bodybuilders' use of "meat market"? I.e. is there a sexual implication?

>From some fiction text in the the British National Corpus:

He said, "Tell me about the hotel."
"A few itinerants. Some labourers from the sticks living cheap while they get the job finished. One or two people who'll be sleeping rough if they can't beg the room rate. The streets round about are a meat market; couples rent by the half-hour. ... I don't think many of them are man and wife."

And from unscripted conversation in the spoken BNC: