encodings (was Re: [Lexicog] sounds animals make)

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 25 17:20:45 UTC 2004

The URL you provided didn't work.

There is a bigger question though: How does one input Unicode in email?

I used to find it almost impossibly tedious to insert accented vowels into
email text. Acute accented a, for example, required activating Num-Lock,
depressing the Alt key, and typing the non-mnemonic code 0225. I solved
the problem by acquiring a Spanish keyboard during a visit to Spain. On my
laptop, which has a US keyboard, I acquired stick-on keycaps and installed
the Spanish keyboard driver in the operating system. On that machine I
have to switch back and forth between the Spanish and the US keyboard
definitions because the standard US keyboard is one key smaller than the
Spanish keyboard (lacking the linguistically important symbols > <). But
let's imagine that the users of this list have decided to use Unicode. How
then do I insert an acute accented a?

--Ken

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM