[Lexicog] polysynthetic languages and dictionaries

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Thu May 27 14:26:44 UTC 2004

William J Poser wrote:

>...there is work on using finite state machines
>for spelling correction, which might help, but I'm not familiar with it.
>I think that Mike Maxwell may know about this, but he's still out of
>town and probably not reading this list.

Fortunately, while I am out of town at LREC, I read my email during
boring talks :-).

Unfortunately, I don't know much about this topic.  Spell correctors
generally use an algorithm where they try one (or sometimes more) change
per word, then look up the result.  A "change" means a substitution,
deletion, insertion, or transposition.  I suspect that this works better
in some languages than others.  I also suspect that some spell
correctors use heuristics to order possible corrections, or maybe allow
more changes of certain types.  (For example, in a language with
accented vowels, an obvious heuristic is to add accents to un-accented
vowels.)

    Mike Maxwell

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM