[Lexicog] homonym display in Lexique Pro

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sat Oct 16 18:46:52 UTC 2004

Shoebox and Toolbox mark homonyms with the \hm marker followed by the number
for that homonym. The Cheyenne homonyms for 'whiteman' and 'spider'
illustrate this:

\lx vé'ho'e
\lc vé'ho'e
\hm 1
\ps na
\ge whiteman

\lx vé'ho'e
\lc vé'ho'e
\hm 2
\ps na
\ge spider

Lexique Pro does not pick up on this format, but there is another way of
marking homonyms which displays homonyms very nicely and allows one to jump
via hyperlinks between homonyms from the Lex. Pro display. The \lf (Lexical
Function) field is used and the "Hom" (homonym) function is specified. The
vernacular entry is given following "Hom" immediately followed by the number
for the homonym. (Yes, it may look strange to have that number which looks
like part of the word, but this works!) I also like to include a \le field
giving a gloss for the homonym. So, for homonyms to display and be clickable
from within Lexique Pro my entries for 'whiteman' and spider' would look
like this:

\lx vé'ho'e
\lc vé'ho'e
\hm 1
\ps na
\ge whiteman
\lf Hom = vé'ho'e2
\le spider

\lx vé'ho'e
\lc vé'ho'e
\hm 2
\ps na
\ge spider
\lf Hom = vé'ho'e1
\le whiteman

Lexique Pro disregards the MDF marker \hm, which can still be used by
Shoebox or Toolbox for Export to RTF.

I hope some will find this information useful. Richard Margetts explained to
me how to do this for homonyms within Lexique Pro.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language