[Lexicog] lexicography can be draining

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Tue Oct 19 18:36:46 UTC 2004

Wayne Leman said:
> Today's fun discovery in our Cheyenne lexical work was that the verb stem
> for 'drain' has a specific morpheme meaning 'into.' As far as I know,
> speakers of English conceptualize draining as something which liquid does
> "out of" some container. Cheyennes apparently view the process
> differently.
> I would guess that they perceive of the liquid going from one container
> "into" another or into another space, such as into the drain pipe. The
> difference between how English 'drain' and Cheyenne 'drain' are
> lexicalized
> reminds me of the interesting diagrams that Prof. Langacre of UCSD has
> promoted which display semantic conceptualizations.
>
> Have any of the rest of you found interesting lexical differences like
> this
> in languages you work with, demonstrating different conceptual points of
> view?

In Amele (PNG) to say 'an earthquake happened' you say *mim nen* which means
'the earthquake came down (from above)'. Does anyone else have earthquakes
coming down from the sky? The Gauls were another people that were always
afraid of the sky falling on their heads.

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM