[Lexicog] Software question

Kevin Parent ksparent at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 12 01:13:09 UTC 2004

Fellow listmembers:

I realize this topic is a little peripheral, but I hope someone
can help me out.

I am using two programs for lexical analysis of BNC data: SARA
(that came with the BNC-World package) and Wordsmith Tools. Both
have features not shared by the other, and both have failings.
What is important to me is to be able to tag concordance lines
according to the sense being employed. Wordsmith allows this
(the SET feature) but the darn thing crashes frequently with
Windows ME (better on XP but I only that at my office).
Moreoever, I can't easily work on words such as 'body' or
'occupation' because these are tags employed by the BNC markup
system, and Wordsmith pulls up all the examples.

I don't expect anyone to help with the crashing problem, but
does anyone know either a workaround for the tag problem, or
else another program available for individual license that
allows manual tagging of concordance lines?

Much obliged.

=====
Kevin Parent
Gongju National University of Education, Korea
KOTESOL Membership Chair
http://www.kotesol.org/membership/committee/

http://messenger.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM